mctclover

Nadia Lee
Progress: 10 %
The Submission
Amy Waldman
Roadside Crosses: A Kathryn Dance Novel (Kathryn Dance Novels)
Jeffery Deaver
I am Jewish: Personal Reflections Inspired by the Last Words of Daniel Pearl
Judea Pearl, Ruth Pearl
The Time Traveler's Wife
Audrey Niffenegger
Silent Scream (Romantic Suspense, #11) - Karen Rose Like so many others, I couldn't wait to read David Hunter's story. Beautifully done. I loved how honest David was, and how he and Olivia fought for their relationship. Suspense aside, the rest of the story was a beautiful romance and also a great friend story. Rose excels at that, even in the midst of spine-tingling suspense.

As for the suspense: Rose uses certainly one of my biggest fears in order to propel her villain. While, as she frequently does, the villain is revealed to us somewhat early on (maybe halfway through?), his motives certainly are not. You come to care about most of the kids in this story, and what happens to them is shocking. Definitely another winner from Rose.

If I had one niggle, it was with something that I doubt anyone else would catch unless they are Jewish. One of the characters is an Orthodox Jew, and when he dies, his family speaks about going to Temple. I've never heard an Orthodox Jew refer to Temple as 'Temple'. It's either going to synagogue or going to shul. The reference was made only twice, but the first time, it really knocked me back. Also, a good deal of space was dedicated to Olivia telling the family that Joel would want to do teshuvah; which is a word that essentially means repentence. Which isn't quite the way I'd say it, and it's a term I've really only used in association with the High Holy Days and Yom Kippur. I could be wrong, but while sitting shiva may be an experience a homicide detective may be familiar with, I had a hard time believing that a police officer in Minneapolis would be familiar with Teshuvah. New York, maybe, but certainly not Minnesota. Like I said, it wasn't a huge part of the book, and likely nobody else would catch that. Otherwise, I thought Rose handled the religious aspect of the character very well, and those little bits didn't detract from my enjoyment of the story.